Water and Sanitation (WASH) Coordinator (NPSA9)
- Post Date:August 25, 2022
- Views 93
- Experience 2 YearsGender BothIndustry Development
- Qualification Bachelor DegreeNumber of OpportunitiesLocation Oecussi Ambeno, Timor-Leste
- Language English and Tetum
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) works in approximately 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. Anchored in the 2030 Agenda for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and committed to the principles of universality, equality, and leaving no one behind, the UNDP supports countries’ efforts to strengthen frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction, and climate change.
Since 1999, UNDP has been supporting the Timorese people to move from post-conflict recovery towards sustainable development. In 2014 the Government of Timor-Leste created the Special Administrative Region (SAR) and established the Special Zone of Social Market Economy (ZEESM) in Oé-Cusse district.
UNDP has been providing policy advice to the SAR-ZEESM Office since its establishment and has developed a program to help the ZEESM establish and operationalize institutional and developmental structures and systems in different areas, including tourism, agriculture and water systems. In 2022, the Government of SAR and ZEESM- known as RAEOA – expressed its desire to continue UNDP support throughout the implementation of Support for Institutional and Sustainable Development of Oé-Cusse Special Administrative Region and the Special Zone of Social Market Economy project –Phase III (2022-2025).
The project aims to create sustainable economic opportunities, promote resilience to climate change, and ensure quality public services by working on three key components; I) Livelihood and Economic Diversification, II) Clean and Safe Water and Forest Management and III) Effective and Accountable Governance.
In this regard, UNDP in partnership with RAEOA ZEESM-TL plans to improve the water access to critical sectors such as education and health and enhance the strategic planning and management of the water resources in the region. To this end, UNDP have initiated the design of low-cost solutions to harvest rainwater in 13 schools and 6 health clinics prioritized by the Government.
Against this background, the project will contribute to improve access to clean and safe water and sanitation, and development of small scale water supply systems in Oé-Cusse by delivering the following tasks:
- Installation and maintenance of sustainable water systems in public buildings in the rural communities using low cost and innovative technologies.
- Providing technical support to the Regional Administration to install a public latrine that are accessible to women and People With Disabilities (PWD) and maintained with sustainability.
- Designing and installing small scale water supply systems for irrigation / sanitation purposes
In this background, UNDP is looking for an enthusiastic person to coordinate the water and sanitation activities during the project implementation. The person will work under the direction of Project Manager and the International WASH specialist and support the President of Authority’s cabinet in RAEOA. This terms of references (TOR) describes the scope of the work, minimum qualifications etc. of the Water and Sanitation (WASH) Coordinator.
- Review the data on the selected sites, coordinate and prepare the sites for the installation of rainwater harvesting systems;
- Oversee the construction and quality assure water harvesting, storage and distribution system, monitoring the supply of steel water tanks and construction of base for the steel water tanks with the awarded companies and ensure the timely delivery and quality of the supplied materials;
- Assist in data collection to design the water filtration system for drinking purpose and support the procurement process to install the filtration system;
- Report the progress to the Project Manager and International Water and Sanitation Specialist and certify payments for contractors and suppliers;
- Assist in designing and implementing small scale irrigation systems and water supply systems.
Capacity building and reporting:
- Train the local stakeholder on how to use and maintain the water harvesting, storage and distribution system built and organize capacity building and knowledge sharing activities with relevant local stakeholders in areas of water management;
- Prepare monthly activity progress reports and other required reporting documents;
- Perform any other activity required by the project;
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions, Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UN
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for content, or responsive to a stated need
- Partnership Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with side networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Data collection: Being skilled in Data Sorting, Data Cleaning, Survey , Administration, Presentation and Reporting including collection of Real-Time Data (e.g. mobile data, satellite data, sensor data).
- Innovation capacity building: Ability to define and create the conditions for trying out new ways of working or introducing new problem solving approaches to an organisation. Ability to develop, manage and evaluate a learning curriculum that raises awareness, builds confidence, strengthens innovation capabilities around a certain method, tool or technique; or helps develop an innovation mindset. Ability to create the authorising environment (mandate, incentives) to embed and spread new ways of working. In-depth knowledge of one or more innovation methods, broad knowledge of innovation processes and innovation management. Ability to align a learning and development strategy with broader innovation strategy.
- Sourcing: Ability to find, evaluate and engage suppliers of goods and services
- Supplier/relationship management: Knowledge of supplier management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Water and Sanitary Engineering, Civil Engineering qualifications or Environmental Engineering with specialization in water treatment or related area.
- At least 2 years experience (or 4 years with Bachelor’s degree) of professional work experience at the national or international level in water and sanitation system as well as irrigation system; construction of water and sanitation system.
- Experience in supervising and monitoring water storage system construction projects and/or similar areas;
- Experience in managing quantitative and qualitative data;
- Experience in capacity building (delivering training) and outreach activities in water related areas;
- Experience in construction of water, sanitation irrigation system
- Demonstrated experience presenting work to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Demonstrated experience with GPS and related software;
- Experience in working with local and/or national governments;
- Experience in working with UNDP is an asset;
- Previous experience working in Oé-Cusse region or familiar with the local context is an asset ;
- English and Tetum required. Portuguese and/or Baikeno are desirable.
- AUTOCAD, ArcGIS are desirable
Note: This position is open for Timor-Leste nations only