Services of a Legal Expert on Energy and Environment -LBN-CO- IC-1-23
- Post Date:January 8, 2023
- Views 57
- Career Level OthersExperience 8 Years +Gender Both
- Industry DevelopmentQualification Bachelor DegreeNumber of Opportunities
- Location beirut, LEBANONLanguage Arabic | English
In line with the Country Programme Document and the UNDP Strategic Plan, the Lebanon Country Office works in three broad development contexts: eradicating poverty; structural transformations; and building resilience. The programme is driven by the Sustainable Development Goals while focusing also on the major development challenges facing Lebanon, particularly the Syrian refugee.
The Energy and Environment Programme is one of the areas of focus in UNDP Lebanon; currently implements numerous projects in Lebanon that range in thematic areas from climate change, biodiversity conservation, sustainable land management, institutional support to the Ministry of Environment, industrial depollution, decentralized renewable energy projects and solid waste management. The programme also works on the support of host-communities in response to the Syrian refugee crisis and is the Social and Environmental Safeguards focal point for the office; therefore, the team also ensures the integration of environmental best-practices into the overall implementation strategy of UNDP.
UNDP is seeking the services of a legal expert to support the various projects within the Energy and Environment Programme on a long-term basis on legal matters that relate to any of the topics mentioned above. More details about the exact scope of work are mentioned below.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall perform all the services/work as necessary to fulfill the objectives of the consultancy contract which are detailed below in terms of outputs but that would cover various sectors in environment and transport as follows:
- land use planning process so as to avoid insensitive infrastructure development, conversion of productive lands, poor range and farmland management practices, and encroachment on natural ecosystems especially forests
- governance framework, institutional set-up and functioning of the committees that manage the protected areas in Lebanon and nature reserves management and other types of related analysis
- Reporting on healthcare waste and other types of environmental reporting to the ministry of environment
- Decentralized municipal solid waste management activities and other types of related analysis
- Climate change agenda and legislation and ways forward particularly related to climate financing mechanisms and funding platforms/structures that could be made available in Lebanon
- Energy regulation and activities, in specific in relation to both distributed and utility-scale renewable energy installations and integration
- Energy regulation and activities, in specific legislation related to both distributed and utility-scale renewable energy installations and integration
- Transport regulation and activities, in specific legislation related to public transport operation and public administrations linked to transport
- Proficiency in English and Arabic languages. French is an asset;
Required Skills and Experience
- Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor Law degree.
- Master’s degree in public law, public administration, political science, or related field is desired.
- Years of experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience.
III. Technical experience:
- Proven experience in the field of environmental law in Lebanon;
- Proven experience working with the public sector;
- Proven experience in legal drafting (drafting of regulations, legislations, etc);
- Proven experience in assessing legal regulatory frameworks and procedures;
- Experience working with multilateral organizations and the UN system preferred;
- Knowledge of regional and international best practices is an asset.
Please note that this procurement process is being conducted through the new online tendering system of UNDP. Applicants who wish to submit a proposal must be registered in the system. Kindly register by visiting the link below and follow the instructions provided in the user guide in the document attached:
http://supplier.quantum.partneragencies.org/ using the profile you may have in the Quantum portal.
In case you have never registered before, follow the Supplier Portal Registration Link to register a profile in the system. The Supplier User Guide has been uploaded to the following link. Do not create a new profile if you already have one. Use the forgotten password feature in case you do not remember the password or the username from previous registration.
The supplier webinar is now available in the following link: https://www.undp.org/procurement/business/resources-for-bidders.
Please note that all required documents are found on UNDP Quantum Platform under negotiation reference: UNDP-LBN-00055
The application must include all of the following Mandatory documents:
- Technical Proposal,
- Annex 3 (Offerors Letter) with password protected
NOTE: The amount of Financial Offer MUST not be mentioned anywhere in the submitted documents or E-Tedendring system. The Financial Proposal MUST be password protected and the password will be requested later as per the RFP requirements. Failure in compliance with the mentioned conditions shall result in rejection of the offer.
Please put value of 1 USD in the price line instead of the financial proposal amount.