- Post Date:August 28, 2022
- Views 69
- Career Level OthersExperience 2 YearsGender Both
- Industry Health CareQualification Master’s DegreeSalary As per company salary scale
- Number of Opportunities 1Vacancy Number 220005QVLocation Balkh
About Save the Children
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
SCI – Afghanistan
Save the Children has been working in Afghanistan since 1976. Our way of working close to people and on their own terms has enabled us to deliver lasting change to tens of thousands of children in the country. The UN Convention of the Rights of the Child is the basis of our work.
We are helping children get a better education, we make it possible for more boys and girls to attend school, we help children protect themselves and influence their own conditions. We work with families, communities and health workers in homes, clinics and hospitals to promote basic health in order to save lives of children and mothers
ROLE PURPOSE: The psychosocial counsellor is a key staff in the project to work closely with children and their families in the community and s/he will be in direct contact with them for supporting children on their MHPSS and protection related concerns. The successful candidate will participate in a one-year training program, which includes three and half months of intensive psychosocial technical training in Kabul and 8.5 months of on the job training and mentoring, which will equip candidates with enough knowledge and skill to provide MHPSS support to targeted children in their intervention communities. After the completion of the first intensive training course, spanning a 3-month period at the beginning of the posting, the psychosocial councillors will be deployed in Balkh province for the implementation/roll out of the project activities based on the project objective.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Child protection officer
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
Indirect : 0
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
Role Dimensions: Coordination, communication with stakeholders, team member,beneficiaries)
• Attending and completing a one-year MHPSS training program to gain skill and knowledge about MHPSS services, best practices and strategies;
• The psychosocial councillors need to offer his/her full commitment for the completion of the course and the project.
• Providing ongoing psychosocial support for vulnerable, at-risk children and adolescents and families through one-on-one and / or group sessions, sometimes in coordination with teachers and or other thematic areas within SC’s programmatic intervention;
• To assist the child protection officer in developing the questionnaire and field test tools and techniques for
o rapid assessments and training materials/ modules.
• Raising awareness with children, families and community leader to bring positive changes in the children life and create a protective environment for them, and to reduce stigmatization of mental health through community dialogues and engagement.
• Identification and reporting of key issues, which affecting war affected and street working children in the city/ province.
• Work with teachers to build capacity respond to MHPSS needs in the classroom, and to safely identify and refer cases.
• Weekly base comprehensive reporting to the child protection officer
• To attend Community Based Child Protection Network (CBCPN) and DCPAN to discuss child protection concerns, to provide update on MHPSS issues and to share information on positive coping strategies, safe identification and referrals
• Utilizing knowledge and resources in efficient manner to input for designing future intervention to improve the lives and access to opportunity of affected children in and around the city/ province.
• To assist the child protection officer in analysing situation children who are at risk
• Ensure the effective and efficient use of all SC Afghanistan resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
• Ensure that you work to the best of your ability and demonstrate high levels of commitment to SC Afghanistan in order to ensure the objectives of your role and the country programme are met.
• Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace
• Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children
Lead, manage and motivate a team, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
Other duties as directed.
Supporting other project team in related to Save the Children programs.
Additional job responsibilities
• Supporting other project staff for the implementation of program activities
• Take active role in responses whenever an emergency happens
• Assist support staffs when needed
In the event of a significant humanitarian emergency, the post-holder will be expected to work outside their normal job description; vary their working hours; and occasionally work from a different location should the need arise.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Graduated from Medical university or psychology department
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Recent graduated from psychology, social work or social science faculty
• 2 years’ experience in social work or psychosocial
• Have some social work experience
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent communication skills in Pashtu/Dari language.
• Good in conducting timely meeting.
• Knowledge of Child Protection and MHPSS
• Knowledge of working with communities, specifically in engaging communities to identify issues and working with them to implement plan.
• Ability to travel to districts and another province when it is required.
• Committed to the aims and principles of Save the Children, including adherence to the child protection policy.
• Detail-oriented skills
• Knowledge of Computer (Ms. Officer and using internet)
• Excellent English (Able to write the reports in English)
• Accuracy with responsibilities
– Knowledge of child rights is an advantage.
– Should be able to work independently and be a strong team member, be patient, adaptable, flexible, to maintain confidentiality, and able to improvise and work in stressful atmosphere and respects Afghan culture.
– Experience of translating materials from English to Dari and Pashtu
– Experience in child participation, MHPSS and community participation
– Familiar with other computer program (Ms. Access, Photoshop etc)
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.