Project site Engineer
- Post Date:October 10, 2022
- Views 74
- Career Level ManagerExperience 3 YearsGender Both
- Industry ConstructionQualification Bachelor DegreeSalary As per Organization Salary Scale
- Number of Opportunities 8Vacancy Number VA-2022-71Location Badakhshan, Ghor, Daykundi, Samangan
Afghanaid is a British humanitarian and development organisation operating in Afghanistan. For close to forty years we have worked with millions of deprived, excluded and vulnerable families in some of the poorest and most remote communities in Afghanistan. We build basic services, improve livelihoods, strengthen the rights of women and children, help communities protect against natural disasters and adapt to climate change, and respond to humanitarian emergencies.
Our community-led approach gives ordinary Afghans a voice in their own development, making them active participants in shaping the future of their country. With our years of experience, our majority Afghan team, and our deep understanding of local, cultural and ethnic issues, we have earned great trust and respect among the communities we work alongside. This has allowed us to gain access to some of the most underserved areas of the country.
The Site Engineer will be responsible for Survey, Design, Estimation, Proposal and implementation of construction projects. Specifically, he/she will be responsible for construction of necessary watershed irrigation structure – mapping intervention sites, implementation of irrigation structure, progress monitoring and reporting. Furthermore, he/she will conduct the site survey, technical survey, design and implementation of any type of low cost soil and watershed conservation measure in close coordination with watershed Coordinator.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Technical Survey, Cost estimation, Design, implementation of all irrigation structure.
- Technical survey, preparing BoQ and implementing all CFW activities across target districts and provinces.
- Develop through stakeholders’ consultative process criteria for selecting watershed area for rehabilitation, community work plans and monitoring mechanisms
- Organize/ facilitate participatory process through community mobilization and arrive at consensual decisions regarding selection of watershed rehabilitation.
- Conflict Resolution of likely disagreements which may emerge because of miscommunication or conflicting interests of interest groups, and timely address them.
- Document and disseminates decisions to relevant individuals and organizations in timely manner.
- Provide regular technical advice to the watershed user to protect and maintain the constructed watershed masonry structure.
- Work in a team to develop/ update guidelines for establishing watershed management committee.
- Regularly monitor watershed masonry structures, collect data, document, case studies update and report achievements.
- Actually conduct the feasibility/ technical/ site surveys, prepare the bill of quantities, technical designs etc.
- Ensuring that the budgeted costs for goods, works, and services are reasonable (reflect market rates) and that all costs have been accounted for. Before finalizing sub projects, facilitating preparation of a realistic operations, maintenance and cost recovery plan.
- Ensuring adequate technical oversight, including assessing the impact of engineering interventions on habitats, is provided in site selection, survey and feasibility of the proposed sub projects/construction activities before finalization of the proposals.
- Providing technical assistance to skilled labour, and community people.
- Monitoring from each stage of subproject during its implementation period. This includes support and oversight for the procurement and financial issues.
- Ensuring that the implementation schedule, the quality of the procured materials in the site and other details of the subprojects.
- Ensuring timely completion and proper functioning of all Projects/construction activities.
- Deal with community people to encourage them for better implementation of sub project/construction activities, and preparation of sub project O&M plans for project sustainability.
- Liaise with NRM specialist, Social Organizers and NRM Assistants, District NRM Specialist, Senior Livelihood and livestock officers in project implementation.
- Regular travel to district and project coverage area, to ensure all planned activities are on track.
- Capacity building, of skill labour and community people trough on job trainings, technical advice and practical instruction.
- Handling paperwork and keeping administrative records.
- Preparation of weekly monthly and quarterly reports.
- Check projects progress against daily work plan.
- Provide O&M training to the target communities
- Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Any other duties as and when assigned by the line manager, MD and/or Directorate.
Education & Professional Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from a well-recognized University.
- More than 3 years or more experience in civil engineering and community development field.
Professional Skills, Competencies, Values and Attitudes
- Proficiency in computer software MS Office etc.
- Reporting writing skills
- Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work situations.
- Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
- Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
- A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
- Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
- Sensitivity to gender issues.
- Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
- Personal integrity, sense of humour, intuitive and self-motivation
- Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
Key Skills and Competencies
- Highly developed reporting, budget monitoring, and management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of community development and social mobilisation.
- Proven management ability and strong interpersonal skills – team player.
- Problem solving and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in the most common computer software including word processing, and excel spreadsheets.
- Ability to deal with difficult, often frustrating work situations.
- A willingness to live, travel and work in isolated and possibly dangerous locations.
- Gender sensitivity.
- Sensitivity to the Islamic culture.
- Commitment to support/develop the capacity of the national staff and of rural communities.
- Personal integrity and a sense of humour.
- Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses.
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities in personal workload.
- Knowledge of exit strategies and sustainability issues.
(To be added by Hiring Manager, a template is highlighted below)
- Computer and AutoCAD skill
- Familiarity with English
Afghanistan, Badakhshan, Ghor, Daykundi, Samangan
Please submit your application by filling the Afghanaid standard job application form and email a completed application form, covering letter and your CV, by no later than 20 October 2022 to [email protected] ; including your name, vacancy number and the job title in the subject line. Your covering letter should be no more than 1 standard A4 page in length and explain how you meet the essential and desirable position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references including your current employer. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates. Application with no proper subject (requested above), without the application form or submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every application. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the deadline, then you have not been successful for shortlisting.
Please note that applying without filling the standard job application form will result in disqualifying the applications to review for shortlisting.
Link for the Afghanaid Standard Job Application form: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1vLmMCTTa7peZ-8Odm-L4xm_5ULr6nvRG