Project Financial Analyst
- Post Date:December 14, 2022
- Views 54
- Career Level OfficerExperience 4 YearsGender Female
- Industry FinanceQualification Bachelor DegreeSalary As per Organization Salary Scale
- Number of Opportunities 1Vacancy Number VA-2022-85Location Kabul
Afghanaid is a British international NGO (www.afghanaid.org.uk) that has been working in Afghanistan since 1983. Headquartered in Kabul, Afghanaid implements projects directly in 8 provinces and through partners in a further number of provinces and maintains a marketing and fundraising office in London. Afghanaid works in some of the most remote areas of the country and through a range of programme interventions supports development of basic services, such as water and sanitation, access roads, education facilities and other community infrastructure; strengthens livelihoods through improved natural resource management, agricultural and small enterprise development, and improved access to markets; and provides humanitarian assistance in times of emergencies. Gender mainstreaming, local governance and community development are integrated into all of Afghanaid’s work. The results achieved have earned Afghanaid the respect and recognition of stakeholders as an effective and collaborative charity.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Financial Controller, the role will support the annual or quarterly budgeting & forecasting and monthly financial reporting & analysis processes including the preparation of budgets and forecast at organizational level and FCDO projects. The Financial Analyst will work with budget holders to review financial reports and how they impact project and operational plans; projected expenditure rates and budget balances as well as implement corrective actions plans. The Financial Analyst will examine individual line items and how they relate to the overall programmatic and/or departmental work plans.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Check and verify forms and vouchers to ensure that they are properly completed; the required supporting documents are attached; all donor, organisational and statutory requirements are complied with and that they are duly approved in line with the approval authority limits in place.
- Ensure that expenditure is coded and captured correctly in the accounting system in terms of amounts, budget codes/lines, general ledger codes, project codes as well as any other analysis codes as may be applicable.
- Ensure a fair and equitable charging of common/shared costs among projects based on cost allocation methodologies in line with Afghanaid and donor policies.
- Assist Programme Managers and Programme Development & Resource Mobilisation (PDRM) personnel in the development of operational budgets and forecasts using detailed projections, analysis of expenditure, historical cost information, planned actions and available funds.
- Maintain tools/templates for donor reporting purposes and ensure timely preparation of complete and accurate donor financial reports which are in line with donor reporting guidelines.
- Provide budget holders with complete, timely, accurate and reliable financial information which includes standard financial reports as well as accompanying notes/analysis.
- Provide analysis and financial commentary on key financial indicators such as spend/burn rates, budget vs actual variances, cash balances and match funding; in order to help assure Afghanaid that we are tracking financial obligations to our donors and implementing partners and that we are compliant with donor terms and conditions.
- Participate in periodic financial review meetings with Programme Managers to discuss the monthly financial reports as well as establish and monitor follow-up action plans with them.
- Prepare ad hoc reporting requirements as per organisational needs as well as prepare and analyse the management reports.
- Prepare labour cost distribution workings including time sheet data or level of effort, salary and leave calculations and upload the same in the financial management system.
- Prepare payroll schedules for payment execution.
- Assist with the preparation of journal entries.
Undertake any other duties as and when required by the line manager and/or overview manager.
Bachelor’s degree in finance, business or related discipline and/or studying towards a professional accounting qualification.
More than 4 years of professional experience in finance/accounting with strong emphasis on financial planning, reporting and analysis.
Professional Skills, Competencies, Values and Attitudes
Afghanaid seeks a responsible and dependable Financial Analyst with strong initiative, judgment and adaptability as well as excellent skills in communication, organisational, interpersonal relations, decision-making, financial management and reporting.
Specifically, the holder of this position should also demonstrate the following:
- Proficiency in computer software including Accounting Packages, MS Office etc.
- Advanced MS Excel knowledge and ability to slice and dice numbers using excel functions such as pivot tables/charts.
- Working knowledge of budget development, monitoring & control as well as financial reporting and analysis.
- Knowledge of generally accepted financial accounting, budgeting and control practices coupled with multi-funded budget development and general ledger skills.
- Advanced knowledge of internal controls and donor rules and regulations
- Ability to deal with difficult, often challenging work situations.
- Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
- Competent to work with significant levels of autonomy and able to meet tight deadlines.
- A results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities in personal workload,
- Creative and innovative in conceptual and analytical thinking
- Sensitivity to gender issues.
- Fluent in Dari, Pashto and English (written and oral).
- Personal integrity, sense of humour, intuitive and self-motivation
- Knowledge of personal strengths and weaknesses, active listener
Please submit your application by filling the Afghanaid standard job application form and email a completed application form, covering letter and your CV, by no later than 20 December 2022 to [email protected] ; including your name, vacancy number and the job title in the subject line. Your covering letter should be no more than 1 standard A4 page in length and explain how you meet the essential and desirable position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references including your current employer. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates. Application with no proper subject (requested above), without the application form or submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every application. If you have not heard from us within 2 weeks of the deadline, then you have not been successful for shortlisting.
Please note that applying without filling the standard job application form will result in disqualifying the applications to review for shortlisting.
Link for the Afghanaid Standard Job Application form: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1vLmMCTTa7peZ-8Odm-L4xm_5ULr6nvRG