Manager People & Culture (Re-advertisement
- Post Date:September 26, 2022
- Views 31
- Career Level ManagerExperience 8 Years +Gender Both
- Industry Health CareQualification Master’s DegreeSalary As per Organization Salary Scale
- Number of Opportunities 1Vacancy Number IRW-CO-029-2022Location Kabul
About Islamic Relief Worldwide:
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) is an international, non-profitable, non-governmental humanitarian relief organization with its head quarter in Birmingham, UK. It enjoys consultative status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations and is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for International Red Cross and red Crescent Moments and NGOs in Disaster Relief. Islamic Relief has been working in Afghanistan for more than 23 years, providing emergency relief and implementing life-changing development projects for some of the most vulnerable people in the country. Islamic Relief set up our first Afghanistan office in 1999. Since then, IRA continued providing assistances in emergency relief, food security, livelihood, education, health, nutrition, shelter, orphan sponsorship, Ramadan and Qurbani programmes.
The People & Culture department manages the organization’s staff related matters from the start to the end of the employment relationship, as well as continuous learning and improvement. It does so through providing comprehensive HR and L&D services.
To advice on, and implement the full range of human resource and organizational development strategies necessary to support effective people management across Islamic Relief Afghanistan operations. To promote high performing culture which is based on IR values in-line with IR Afghanistan’s strategic goals.
Duties & Responsibilities:
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Maintain a strong working relationship and offer a strong advisory service to the Country Director, Head of Programmes. Lead to ensure that key relationships are maintained with key areas of business including HR, Supply Chain & Services, Finance, Internal Audit & other department/field Managers, field Finance/HR/SC & Services staff on HR matters.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY:
This is a senior leadership position, who will strive to ensure the strategic objectives of Islamic Relief Afghanistan are fulfilled. The role will manage the overall HR function of Islamic Relief Afghanistan, which includes Employee engagement and wellbeing, compliance of IR’s policies, review and revision of local HR policies and business processes to cater needs of stakeholders.
Responsibility for Resources:
- The role has nominal budget responsibility, but more importantly will have input into budget planning & decisions related to HR to ensure expenditures are incurred according to donor guidelines and IRW financial guidelines.
- Required to guide, support and manage HR department staff including the field HR Team.
- Regular reporting to management on the progress of statutory compliance including handling of sensitive documents and information
- Access to confidential information (managing HR systems, project budgets, maintaining databases, publications, and reports)
Following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
- As a member of the Country Leadership Team, lead/participate in strategic discussions and planning relating to the direction and progress as the Organisation as a whole in IR Afghanistan. Contributing input and ideas beyond the strict technical realm of own department.
- Engage and lead in operational planning needed to meet strategic needs in the Organisation.
- Act as a model to lead on good practice, beyond confines of technical tasks.
- Representation to external actors in IR Afghanistan, including other agencies, HR forums and Government.
HR Policy/ Strategy and Employment Law:
- Provide leadership on formulation, interpretation & implementation of HR policies, employee handbook and practices.
- Advise Line Managers and HR staff on HR business processes.
- Implement agreed HR best practice – legal responsibility relating to areas of Labour Law, etc.
- Collect, analyse and interpret information about changes in the operational environment and identify key HR issues for management’s attention.
- Working with HR Team on liaison, dialogue, communication and understanding of policies, and on the implementation of pay reviews.
- Provide leadership and manage the IR Afghanistan recruitment and induction processes in collaboration with other teams.
- Analyze recruitment trends and explore creative solutions to recruitment challenges
- Responsible for total reward management including collecting information, providing advice on policy, strategies and implementation to ensure retention.
- Manage the job grading & evaluation process.
- Provide line managers and staff with guidance on processes, capacity building and application of performance management.
- Provide Health and Safety advice and to proactively carry out risk assessments, including issues around staff health and welfare.
- Responsible for ensuring minimum standards as well as policies and procedures are maintained in emergencies.
- Support and implement organizational change. Provide leadership on HR issues related to change management as necessary.
- Support line managers in change management, organizational change, team building, and addressing organizational challenges.
- Collect, analyze and interpret information about changes in the operational environment and identify key HR issues for management’s attention.
- Provide & design proactive employee relations mechanism for the IR staff at all levels from field to Country office, including acting as a trusted HR advisor to National and field leadership in order to build and maintain a high performing and engaged culture.
- Identify and implement opportunities to promote IR values-based culture in which staff can raise their voice fearlessly and openly share ideas to improve the working environment. Assess current programs and propose innovative ways to improve existing ones.
- Monitor and track team member’s engagement through multiple approaches (surveys/focus groups etc.).
- Plan and organize the employee’s events and social calendar (off-sites, team building events, in-office events, sporting events etc.), manage and administer the IR’s culture/events budget.
- Support line managers in developing and implementing people planning, succession planning and workforce planning.
- Manage the HR Coordinator & HRO and matrix manage other HR staff across Afghanistan operations.
- Develop capacities of HR teams and line managers in HR business processes across the operation.
Learning and Development:
- Develop with HR Coordinator an annual country learning and development plan and lead on the implementation of this plan.
- Assist managers at all levels with ability to carry though performance development plans.
- Develop and Implement Training needs analysis.
- Work with HR Coordinator and managers on improved Performance management processes, including the timely implementation of performance management reviews and objective setting within organizational deadlines; supporting managers to be able to comfortably manage good and bad performance.
- Prepare annual budget for HR & OD function.
- Provide forecasts on budget and explore cost saving approaches/measures.
- Monitor and realign budget as required.
- Prepare quarterly / annually management reports in addition to reports on various HR process e.g. proposal on formulation of HR policies, Employees trainings/ planning etc.
- Oversee the management of HR records in accordance with standards & local legislation.
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief vision, mission, Safeguarding, PSEA and core values.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree preferably in HR/OD/OB.
- Certification from SHRM, CIPD would be an added advantage.
- Substantial, proven HR experience, including recruitment, selection, performance management, reward, employee relations, change management, learning and development, diversity and exposure to organizational development at senior level.
- Understanding of the complexities of working in a multicultural environment.
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- A good communicator with strong written and reporting skills, and an excellent ability to influence others. Ability to manage and supervise finance and non-finance staff in multiple and remote locations.
- Strategies and planning.
- Organizational development
- Negotiation and conflict resolution.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
- Commitment to IRW equal opportunity policy.
- Overall 10 years (with Master degree) / 12 years (with bachelor degree) of relevant experience.
- Ability to work independently and provide initiative in improving HR functions.
- To establish good working relationships with a variety of people.
Key Personal Qualities:
- Strong emotional intelligence and resilience, and able to maintain composure – acting in a calm and measured way, in difficult situations.
- Strong & confident communication skills which delivers information persuasively and with clarity in a wide range of situations.
- Has a positive demeanor and disposition, and able to overcome setbacks by motivating self and others
- Has a learning attitude and a continuous improvement philosophy.
- Relevant experience of working with humanitarian/development sector/INGOs
- Working knowledge of regional languages of Afghanistan.
Submission Guidelines: Interested and qualified national candidates should submit a cover letter explaining their motivation and updated CV to the following:
The closing date for accepting applications is 05 October 2022.
Please clearly state the Vacancy Announcement number and title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Please note that applications received after the closing date will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be called for written test/interview.