District Polio Officer
- Post Date:September 7, 2022
- Views 35
- Career Level OfficerExperience 5 YearsGender Both
- Industry Health CareQualification Bachelor DegreeSalary As per company salary scale
- Number of Opportunities 1Vacancy Number WHOAFG-2022-08-76Location Wardak
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
– To conduct AFP Active Surveillance in the respective area
– To implement Polio SIAs campaign in the respective area
– To Support Routine Immunization in the respective area
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
– To prevent establishment of WPV circulation in the area achieving high immunity level in the community
– To detect any AFP case by establishing high sensitive AFP surveillance network
– To improve the quality of the Routine Immunization service through PEI support EPI strategy
– To improve the coordination among partners in the area
Organizational context (Describe the individual role of incumbent within the team, focusing on the intricacy and difficulty of working environment):
– He will have an active role among district team members to direct the activity on the right truck and supports the team as technical advisor
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. To support the selection process of FLWs
2. To develop micro-plan of the area
3. To conduct the trainings for all FLWs levels (DCs, CSs, volunteers, ICMs and PCMs)
4. To monitor the SIAs and active surveillance activities
5. To monitor the RI activities
6. To play active role in improving the coordination among partners
7. To report his activities regularly the supervisor
8. To provide feedback to the FLWs on their activities
9. To attend the meetings of the partners at his level
10. To keep record and documents in proper system
Main TORs of District Polio Officer:
Under the direct supervision of the WHO Provincial Polio Officer/Medical Officer, Regional TL, Polio TL/AFG, and the overall supervision of the WHO Representative, the District Polio Officer will undertake the following duties:
1. Assist MoPH/PEI stakeholders in volunteer selection, training, micro-planning, supervision and monitoring of SIAs.
2. Negotiate access through local channels and ensure all under targeted population is reached for SIA/PEI activities in the assigned area.
3. Strengthen coordination on PEI activities through regular meetings of various partners at district level.
4. Facilitate selection of supervisors and volunteers.
5. Facilitate trainings of Cluster Supervisors and volunteers.
6. Supervise and Monitor PEI activities in the assigned district.
7. Carry out basic AFP surveillance sensitization of the reporting volunteer network in the assigned district as requested by the Medical Officer.
8. Submit monthly plan and report to Provincial Polio Officer.
9. Assist in strengthening routine EPI in the assigned district.
10. Assist implementing partners in training, micro-planning, supervision and monitoring of routine EPI in their assigned areas.
11. Assist MoPH/implementing partners on Vaccine Preventable Disease Surveillance and reporting AEFI.
Assist the Provincial Polio Officer/Medical Officer on any other related tasks assigned.
12. Assist the Provincial Polio Officer/Medical Officer on any other related tasks assigned.
• Medical Doctor (MD)
• Proven residency of the assigned area (District/province) and good relations with all relevant stakeholders in the area.
• Local language is mandatory with at least basic knowledge of English.
• Ability to negotiate access and effective communication on PEI relevant issues/activities.
• Results oriented in the context of the PEI program.
• Ability to work harmoniously as a member of a team to adapt to diverse educational and cultural background and maintain high standards of personal conduct.
• Willingness to work long hours and weekends, especially during important activities such as conferences/meetings, vaccination campaigns, and other events.
1) Producing results
2) Fostering Integration and Teamwork
3) Communicating in a credible and effective way
4) Moving forward in a changing environment.
5) Effective use of resources
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
– Training skills
– Monitoring skills
– Reporting skills
– Management skills
– Communication skills
Essential: Completion of medical degree
Desirable: Bachelor of medicine.
Essential: 5-10 years of related experience (Polio and Routine Immunization activities).
Desirable: Relevant experience in the UN and NGO system
Languages: Good knowledge of English fluent the local language.
– Good knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and Power point).
– Internet skills
Screening of the candidates;
Long List – The candidates shall be longlisted base on the minimum qualifications and relevant experience to the Vacancy Notice (VN).
Short List – Further shortlist shall be done base on years of relevant experience, higher education and required skills.
WHO may conduct written/presentation and interview or combination of the mentioned mediums to select the most qualified candidate.
WHO is an equal opportunity employer and qualiﬁed women are particularly encouraged to apply and equally qualiﬁed female candidate will be given preference.
Interested applicants (Afghan National) meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit their applications quoting this Vacancy Announcement Number (WHOAFG-2022-08-76) along with their curriculum vitae, copy of National ID (Tazkira) to below mentioned email:
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW AND TEST.
WHO is a smoke free environment.