Community Health Worker
- Post Date:August 29, 2022
- Views 42
- Career Level OfficerExperience 3 YearsGender Both
- Industry Health CareQualification Associate DegreeSalary As per company salary scale
- Number of Opportunities 2Vacancy Number PIN-HR/04/2908/2022Location Balkh
About People In Need:
About People In Need:
- People In Need (PIN) Afghanistan
PIN is a Czech, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the ideals of humanism, freedom, equality and solidarity. Human dignity and freedom are fundamental values and we believe that people anywhere in the world should have the right to make decisions about their own lives and share the rights expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
People in Need’s Afghanistan country program started in November 2001, providing emergency food distribution in mountainous areas of the central highlands. 20 years later, the program has visibly grown and diversified, but continues to promote PIN’s core values: envisioning a world where people are free to make decisions about their lives; a world where people are not restricted by an un-free society, poverty, lack of education or discrimination. Today, we work along the humanitarian and development spectrum, providing immediate aid supporting the most vulnerable in Afghanistan to find long-term solutions to the challenges they face.
PIN Afghanistan’s three strategic objectives for the current planning period (2021-2022) are (1) Agency driven, transformative, humanitarian assistance; (2) Making markets work for crisis affected and marginalized communities; and, (3) Harnessing decent, productive and inclusive livelihoods. Under the current evolving context, the CP is focusing efforts under strategic priority 1 and in particular supporting people to have (1) enough to eat, (2) a safe and secure living space that supports their health and well-being, (3) the basic items needed to stay safe and warm, and (4) access to education when the normal structures are no longer available to them.
- Job Description:
- The Community Health Worker plays a key role in delivering COVID 19, hygiene and nutrition awareness raising and precautions messages and materials based on PIN expertise, local practice and WHO guidelines. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing the most effective delivery approach and delivering awareness raising sessions to community members in PIN project locations in Balkh Province – Mazar (Chemtal District). The purpose will be to enhance communities’ ability to protect itself from communicable diseases, such as COVID-19, on making safe nutritional and hygiene choices, how to identify malnutrition and where to go if persons in their community or households are suspected of being malnourished.
The Community Health Worker is expected to develop and deliver context appropriate messaging, awareness raising and space for two-way discussion to beneficiaries through house-to-house and group awareness raising sessions where PIN is operating. The Community Health worker is also expected to motivate and engage fellow community members to deliver the key messages of Covid-19 prevention to their families and the wider community. Community Health Worker will also engage in delivering nutritional trainings to the beneficiaries on the importance of consumption of diverse type of foods and conduct sample nutrition screenings through observation or mid-upper arm circumference (MUAC).
The Community Health Worker will report to the Project Manager and work closely with and under the field direction of the respective Provincial Team Leaders.
- Job Requirements:
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for, but not limited to, the following work areas and duties:
Development, revision, design and creation of messaging and awareness raising materials based on needs
- Consult with community leaders and elders to identify and understand the audience (e.g., men, women, girls, boys, elderly, PWD, marginalized peoples, CDCs) to inform the development of appropriate messaging for Covid-19, hygiene and nutritional awareness and prevention
- Where appropriate, mainstream protection considerations into the messaging, and CHS and Principles
- Develop, revise or update audience appropriate, accessible, awareness raising materials and leaflets for distribution to various levels of the population (e.g., Written information, symbols, pictures)
- Work with PIN Programme Unit and HQ to finalize materials’ design.
Deliver awareness raising sessions in PIN project locations on hygiene, nutrition practices and COVID-19 prevention
- Accompany the field teams during community sensitization, beneficiary selection, and distribution to raise awareness of supported households and target communities of Covid-19 precautions and prevention, hygiene practices and nutritional choices when using their assistance.
- CHW will also be engaged in trainings on nutritional diversity focusing on the importance of consumption of diverse type of foods and the inclusion of vegetables and fruits into the diet.
- Organize and facilitate house-to-house and group awareness sessions for men/women/boys/girls/elderly in target communities, through each stage of the project process (beneficiary selection and distribution)
- Liaise with local community members and affected populations to gather feedback to inform improvements in Covid-19 and nutrition awareness raising efforts
Nutrition screening and improving household’s understanding of malnutrition treatment and prevention
- will undertake sample nutrition screening of pregnant or lactating mothers and children through observation or mid-upper arm circumference (MUAC).
- assess households’ level of knowledge with regards to preventing, identifying and responding to cases of malnutrition
- Any identified cases of acute malnutrition will be supported with treatment referral advice and guidance.
- provide space for discussions about the challenges of being able to adopt safe nutritional practices, and collaboratively identify solutions that families could use to overcome them.
Mainstream protection measures from COVID-19 into the project’s operations
- Review project delivery operating procedures and guidelines and make recommendations to strengthen protection of the team, stakeholders and beneficiaries from Covid-19
- Map referral channels and establish a procedure to manage any identified suspected cases of Covid-19 during project implementation
- Provide training to all project team members on the procedures and guidelines established to support Covid-19 protection
- Monitor project operations for Covid-19 precaution compliance and make recommendations for improvements in practice to the Project Manager and respective Team Leads
- Report in a discrete and confidential manner to the respective Team Lead, any suspected cases of Covid 19 symptoms
Representation, Reporting and Compliance
- Submit regular reports on activities delivered and raising any challenges, issues or recommendations
- Where feasible and appropriate liaise with other humanitarian actors on the ground to ensure principled and coordinated awareness raising
- In discussion and close coordination with the Team Leaders, project manager, and where relevant the Security department, support in access negotiations in target areas
- Adhere to and encourage others to comply with safety and security advisory, procedures and protocols always, and raise any safety or security concerns in an appropriate and safe manner, immediately.
Qualification and Preferred Skills
- Degree on MD or Diploma from medical institutions (nursing and midwifery)-at least 14th grade
- Demonstrated experience implementing similar jobs in the country, including nutrition screening
- Demonstrated experience working closely with local communities and various stakeholders in the field
- Demonstrated experience in conducting awareness raising
- Demonstrated experience working closely with local communities and where it exists to mitigate tensions
- Demonstrated ability remain calm under pressure
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of gender and protection mainstreaming
- Demonstrated experience, ability and confidence to travel to different villages in Balkh province
- Experience in coordination with various stakeholders and government departments
- Excellent Pashto/Dari, English language is an advantage
- Required competencies:
- Understanding of humanitarian standard and principle
- Demonstrated experience working in health and humanitarian sector
- Demonstrated in depth understanding of the local context
- Experience in negotiating with various stakeholder
- Experience using online data collection software/hardware
Please submit CVs and Cover Letter outlining why you are interested in the position and how your skills and experience match the skills, qualifications and competencies required for this position. Applicants who meet the qualification and requirements for the mentioned position will be selected on a rolling basis, with the last date for applications being 10 Sep 2022, midnight.
Please follow the below link and fill out the form completely