Chief Flight Director Office
- Post Date:July 12, 2022
- Views 84
- Career Level OthersGender BothQualification Bachelor Degree
- Number of OpportunitiesLocation Houston, TX
Clarification from the agency
The area of consideration for this position is all groups of qualified individuals within the civil service, Senior Executive Service (SES) reinstatement eligible, and SES Candidate Development Program certified graduates with noncompetitive eligibility. A person is considered to be in the civil service only if occupying a civil service position at the time of application.
This position reports to the Director of the Flight Operations Directorate (FOD). The Chief Flight Director Office:
– Provides a central point for the review and concurrence of FOD activities in support of Program sanctioned boards and panels, such as the Mission Management Team.
– Conducts FOD review and evaluation of Program mission requirements and detailed test objectives across all commercial and international partners.
– Leads the internal FOD Flight Readiness Reviews to certify flight readiness for missions, ensure implementation of mission requirements, and evaluate and accept mission risk.
– Leads flight directors and other technically qualified flight directors to plan, direct, and control the activities of the ground support team in the conduct of real-time mission operations.
– Responsible for the evaluation and certification of the technical and operational proficiency of the flight control team members that serve as direct support for active missions.
– Provides systematic post-flight review of the operation and performance of spacecraft systems, ground systems, and the flight procedures used by the flight controllers and the spacecraft crew.
– Leads the conceptual development for operations and planning for the evolution of flight activities.
– Manages flight techniques panels in accordance with appropriate management directives.
– Supervises a workforce of approximately 40 civil servants and contractors and manages matrixed teams across all FOD disciplines and NASA’s partners.
– Ensures a safe and healthful working environment for all employees, ensures employees are provided adequate training and instructions on safety issues, and ensures that safety is a top priority in facility management and operations.
Conditions of Employment
- The individual selected will be required to file an ‘Executive Branch Personnel Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-278) in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Initial Senior Executive Service (SES) Career appointee is subject to a one-year probationary period.
- Successful completion of a background investigation commensurate with the risk and sensitivity level of the position.
- Successful completion of pre-employment and random drug testing may be required.
- Must meet qualifications requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Please see the Additional Information section for important information about COVID-19.
You must have the skill and ability to perform the duties described above as demonstrated by progressively responsible supervisory/leadership experience, normally obtained over several years by serving in positions at the GS-15 level or equivalent.
To meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position, you MUST address each Executive Core Qualification (ECQ) and Mandatory Technical Qualification (MTQ) separately. If you fail to do so, your application will be rated ineligible. We recommend you provide two (2) examples of relevant experience for each ECQ. Responses to ALL ECQs must not exceed ten (10) pages; MTQ responses must not exceed one (1) page per MTQ. Please include your full name on all documents submitted.
If you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program and been certified by Office of Personnel Management (OPM) you MUST submit a resume and in a separate document address the MTQs. Any ECQs submitted will not be considered. Your resume must clearly state that you are a current career SES, eligible for reinstatement, or SES CDP certified and year of certification.
When preparing your responses to the ECQs and MTQs, you are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the OPM’s Guide to Senior Executive Service Qualification. For a sample template on how to format your ECQ narrative visit NASA’s Executive Leadership Opportunities.
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
ECQ 1 – Leading Change: The ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
ECQ 2 – Leading People: The ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
ECQ 3 – Results Driven: The ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
ECQ 4 – Business Acumen: The ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
ECQ 5 – Building Coalitions: The ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS:
MTQ 1- Demonstrated experience in leading and directing complex ground and real-time spacecraft mission operations teams to manage risk to successfully achieve safe human spaceflight activities as they relate to development, schedule, risk management, risk posture, and technical decision making in both the development through mission preparation phase as well as in the real time environment.
MTQ 2- Experience that demonstrates expert knowledge of the functional operation of spacecraft systems, including their capabilities and limitations, and the applicable ground and crew procedures and rules.
This position has a positive education requirement. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major study in engineering, physical science, mathematics, life sciences, computer science, or other field of science.
To be eligible, you must clearly state in your resume the following: degree, major and/or minor, and college/university.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs. These education credentials must be deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All qualifications requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. You will be evaluated based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your application will be evaluated based on your narrative statements addressing the ECQs and MTQs. Your application may then be referred to and evaluated by an Executive Resources Panel (ERP) and will be placed in one of the following categories: Not Qualified, Qualified, or Highly-qualified. Candidates may receive an interview and/or be asked to provide a list of references. The ERP will make a recommendation to the appropriate approving authority.
You must provide a complete application package. If you do not provide all required information, you will not be considered for this position. Only provide the following:
1. Resume showing relevant work experience (start/end dates stated in month/year, description of duties), applicable education at a minimum, and your contact information. For current or previous Federal employees, it should also include the Pay Plan, Series and Grade for each work experience entry. Limit your resume to 10 pages. If more than 10 pages are submitted, only the first 10 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications.
2. Executive Core Qualifications narrative responses, if applicable. Limit your response to 10 pages. If more than 10 pages are submitted, only the first 10 pages will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications.
3. Mandatory Technical Qualifications narrative responses. Limit your response to 1 page per MTQ. If more than 1 page per MTQ is submitted, only the first pages for each MTQ will be reviewed to determine your eligibility/qualifications.
You may be asked to provide additional documentation to support your eligibility and the information provided in your application package. For example, we may request transcripts, SF-50s, SES Candidate Development Program certificate, etc. Therefore, we encourage you to have these documents prepared and ready when requested by the agency. If you fail to provide the required documents within the stated time period, we may withdraw a job offer and/or remove you from further consideration.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Related Jobs (7)
Maastricht University Netherlands 2023 High Potential Scholarship on October 10, 2022 Scholarship
EAST-WEST CENTER GRADUATE DEGREE FELLOWSHIP: AWARD DETAILS on October 10, 2022 Fellowship
RMIT University 2022 Natural Hazards Research Scholarship on July 4, 2022 Scholarship
American University US 2022 Emerging Global Leader Scholarship on August 27, 2022 Scholarship