- Post Date:November 2, 2022
- Views 47
- Career Level OfficerExperience 4 YearsGender Both
- Industry Health CareQualification Bachelor DegreeSalary As per Organization Salary Scale
- Number of Opportunities 2Vacancy Number WHOAFG-2022-10-108Location Kabul
About World Health Organization:
The World Health Organization (WHO) is the technical and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership in global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical and implementation support and monitoring and assessing health trends. In Afghanistan, WHO works to improve the health and well-being of all Afghans by preventing and reducing mortality, morbidity and disability and strengthening health services in close coordination with national and international partners.
The rapidly spreading COVID-19 pandemic imposed new challenged on the already strained health system in Afghanistan. The country faces many hurdles in coping with the COVID-19 response due to prolonged armed conflict, lack of social protection, limited resources, limited healthcare capacity, and insufficient preparedness and coordination mechanisms. To address this, there is an urgent need for sustainable oxygen supply in the country to enhance the response to Covid 19 cases. It is worth mentioning that there are some oxygen plans already established but not functional and more are under the process to be established, where all of them need for expert biomedical engineer to maintain these oxygen plants and keep them functional.
Access to medical oxygen in such settings is limited due to cost, infrastructure, and logistical barriers. Health facilities often cannot access the oxygen they require, resulting in the unnecessary loss of lives. During the COVID-19 response, the major challenge for WHO in support of oxygen is a lack of baseline information on oxygen resources in a country. Without having such an “O2 capacity mapping”, it will remain challenging to deliver efficient and timely support to meet the urgent needs of oxygen in complex emergency countries.
Upon identification of 2 national biomedical engineers, the incumbent under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative and the focal person in WHO Country Office, EMRO IMST Clinical Management and Headquarters will provide technical support in Oxygen data collection, followed by development of Oxygen scale up plan for the country.
Purpose of the Post:
The purpose of the post is to collaborate with the WHO Country Office in Afghanistan and the WHO Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office in support of oxygen and biomedical needs assessment and technical advice on proper establishment and utilization of oxygen plants
Objectives of the Programme and the immediate Strategic Objective (Overview of the programme):
The mission of WHO’s Program is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, when needed, in order to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and other public health emergencies as part of COVID-19 EMERGENCY Response and Health Systems Preparedness Project. World Health Organization is supporting the positions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Conduct assessments of biomedical equipment and PSA plants functionality
• Repair equipment as required, in workshops or on-site in facilities if possible
• Provide technical advice on the correct use of medical equipment, PSA plants, installation, repair, maintenance, completion reports, and certification.
• Establish close communication and collaboration with Ministry of Health and Ministry of Higher Education and partners.
• Support in implementation of Live Oxygen Platform and collection of hospital oxygen data
• Conduct oxygen mapping and analysis through the collected data with the Live Oxygen Platform, and support estimation of oxygen demand based on assessments.
• Report the collected data to responsible officers in WHO country office and EMRO, and upload the data to the Live Oxygen Platform
• Based on the collected data analysis through the Live Oxygen Platform, support in development of national oxygen road map for scaling up of oxygen capacities in the country
• Identify the medical equipment and necessary additional components requirements as requested by MoH / partners and define and advise WHO on the installation constraints of equipment related to works.
• Assist in the development of technical SOPs for the maintenance and use of relevant medical devices.
• Training of biomedical equipment technicians in the field of installation, repairing and maintenance of medical and biomedical devices.
• Assist in calibration of medical and biomedical devices regularly.
• Liaise closely with other medical professionals, Such as doctors and therapists as well as with end-users.
1. Education and skills:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in biomedical engineering
2. Be expert and trouble shooter in using of medical and biomedical devices.
3. Have the training skills and experience
4. Have excellent knowledge of English (written, speaking, and understanding), Pushto and Dari
5. Have good computer knowledge; MS word, excel, power point and internet browsing.
1. Producing results
2. Fostering integration and teamwork
3. Communicating in a credible and effective way
4. Proven experience as trainer
5. Able to Travel within or outside the country for short/long term trainings/mission when needed.
Essential: expert in biomedical engineering with minimum 4 years of experience
Desirable: Working experience in COVID-19 hospitals, ICUs, and lab preferably at national or
Fluent in Dari, Pashto, and English.
Good knowledge of Microsoft applications.
Place of assignment
Interested applicants meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit their applications quoting this Vacancy Announcement Number (WHOAFG-2022-10-108) with their curriculum vitae along with cover letter and National ID (Tazkira)/Passport to below mentioned email:
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
ONLY CANDIDATES UNDER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW AND TEST.
ANY APPOINTMENT/EXTENSION OF APPOINTMENT IS SUBJECT TO WHO STAFF REGULATIONS, STAFF RULES AND MANUAL.
WHO is a smoke free Environment