Artisan Development Director
- Post Date:October 18, 2022
- Views 52
- Career Level OfficerExperience 8 Years +Gender Both
- Industry DevelopmentQualification Bachelor DegreeSalary As per Organization Salary Scale
- Number of Opportunities 1Vacancy Number 1022-01Location Kabul
About TURQUOISE MOUNTAIN:
Turquoise Mountain is a non-profit, non-governmental organization specializing in urban regeneration, business development, and education in traditional arts and architecture. We provide training, jobs, and sustainable skills to Afghan men and women. Since 2006 Turquoise Mountain has cleared 36,000 cubic meters of rubbish from the streets, restored 150 historic and community buildings, created a primary school and a clinic, and installed water, electricity and sanitation through the historic neighborhood of Murad Khani in the old city of Kabul. It has created the internationally accredited Institute for Afghan Arts & Architecture, training the next generation of craftsmen and women in woodwork, jewelry and gem cutting, calligraphy and miniature painting, and ceramics. Finally, it has facilitated the sale of millions of dollars of Afghan artisan products internationally.
Reporting to the Country Director and working closely with the internationally-based Commercial Director, the Artisan Development Director will be responsible for leading the key components of this new program, setting up and managing a team to work in each of the following areas:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and supervise the performance of the Turquoise Mountain carpet, jewelry, and traditional craft production teams, coordinating closely with the sales teams and technical experts as well as the project’s supported businesses to ensure the timeliness of artisan production and that the quality meets international standards and individual customer requirements.
- Visit supported businesses to identify capacity needs, develop training plans, negotiate pricing and ensure compliance with project deliverables.
- Supervise the Business Mentoring team to ensure that all supported businesses and partners receive sector-specific business skills mentoring and management trainings in Kabul, Mazar-e Sharif and Bamiyan and other provinces.
- Be responsible for the financial, administrative, operational, logistical and human resource management of the project.
- Work closely with the Commercial Director, international sales team, and production teams to drive the growth of international and domestic sales of high-quality Afghan carpets and artisanal products and ensure that customers receive an excellent level of service from the Kabul team.
- Support the local and UK-based finance teams to ensure accurate financial reporting and management of all Turquoise Mountain sales of artisan products.
- Manage and coordinate project activities and work closely with the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager to ensure objectives and deliverables are met on time and on-budget and are reported to the donor in a timely and accurate manner. This will include monitoring the performance of sub-grantees under the project, notably our international fair-trade partner who is responsible for improving the welfare of carpet weavers and to support best practice in both carpet and jewellery sectors in Afghanistan.
- Work closely with senior management and M&E manager to help develop new project proposals for submission to donors, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies, project management, economics, business administration or other relevant discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- Programme / project management certifications such as PRINCE2, PMP, CAPM or other highly preferred
- Experience in international development programmes, including demonstrable success in managing complex programmes.
- Experience of working in a private sector business, preferred
- Previous work experience in the Middle East, Central Asia or South Asia, preferably Afghanistan.
- Fluent in English and competency in Dari or Pashto, or a proven record in fast language acquisition, is a significant advantage.
- Experience of building, leading and developing a team with different backgrounds and expertise.
- Experience of building personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organization
- Strong understanding of program, financial and operational management processes.
- Candidates should submit their CVs with Cover Letter to: [email protected] by no later than 05 November 2022. In the subject line of the e-mail, please mention VA# “1022-01” only.
- Kindly combine CV and Cover Letter as one pdf document and avoid sending us certificates and other heavy sized documents.